If you are the owner or manager of a retail store, then you already understand how important it is to create a safe and secure environment for your workers, as well as your customers and vendors. You also understand why it is necessary to take steps to prevent losses and reduce shrinkage.
If you are searching for a few new tips to help create a safer, more secure retail location, you’re in luck. Here you can learn some practical tips that have been proven effective in a retail setting.
Install Security Equipment
Perhaps the most important thing you can do to increase retail store security is to install various types of security equipment. While you don’t have to install everything on the following list, even one item can help make your business more secure and help increase the feeling of security among staff and customers.
• Closed circuit security cameras
• Motion lights
• Access control technology
• Fire/burglary alarm
• Monitoring services from alarm companies
Loss Prevention Tips for Retail Establishments
Shrinkage is when merchandise is lost due to certain activities, including (but not limited to) breakages, shoplifting, and employee theft. If you have a loss prevention plan in place, it can help reduce shrinkage situations. This plan should include:
• Training employees to recognize signs of theft in customers or suspicious activity.
• Displaying high-value items where they are easily seen.
• Keeping a close watch on your register or other locations where transactions occur.
• Deter theft with security devices.
• Make sure cameras are also in the break rooms, loading docks, and hidden areas on the sales floor.
While there is no way to make your retail location 100% theft proof, the steps here can significantly help minimize the potential for losses due to theft.
Owning or managing a retail store is hard work. With the tips here, you can help increase the feeling of safety and security among your employees.